Sunday 23 June 2013

day 1. Ghirano and Gaiarine

Ghirano
Gaiarine
 This is a game of pick the difference.
The story goes that my great grnadfather's (bisnonno) death certificate (1915) said place of birth: Girran. No such place but there is a Ghirano and a Gaiarine. The respondant on the death certicicate was John, born in australia and an English speaker. He reported it as he had heard it. I had always plumped for Gaiarine until I started my Italian lessons. Pronunciation subtleties have made me change my mind. gaiarine is the more charming and lively. hirano is surrounded by levee banks and feels like a lost village.
Giarine 

Ghirano
Gaiarine
These are typical views from the ourskirts of any of these villages (and sometimes from within 100 metres of the village centre). These are farming communities with flourishing back yard vegetable plots and every inch of available land under crop.

1 comment:

Drow404 said...

Hi, I am from Ghirano and I can help you if you need more information. Contact me at leandroschizzi@gmail.com if you want