Sunday 23 May 2010

Letter writing


I'm not a habit of browsing antique shops as my wife will confirm.
However, recently in Adelaide, I found myself browsing in such a shop (with my beloved) and stumbled onto a collection of postcards dating back 60 - 70 years.
They were not "new" but all had been written on and posted to loved ones, friends etc. Not a collection of one person's cards but a collection of cards from many sources. Each held a succinct story capturing holidays, family business, joys and troubles.
They captured the feelings and quality of their era. Each was hand written, invariably in beautiful running script. I felt like I'd become a part of the private lives of these strangers. How amazing that such simple everyday pieces of communication could be so powerful and evocative.
I am very lucky. My mother kept many letters she received and even made copies of letters she sent to her distant sisters in some cases.
I discovered that she had kept almost every letter I had written to her in the years I was away from home. It was only after she passed away that I discovered these in a box at the back of her dresser.

2 comments:

Ronda Laveen said...

My mother-in-law used to collect postcards. Some of them are also quite valuable. The stories on the backs were the best part to me.

Pauline said...

I found a collection of letters I'd written home while away among my late father's things. Lovely to think he kept them all those years.

Thanks for stopping by my site and making a comment :)