Saturday 13 February 2010

Turning 60.

Turning 60 is all that's it's cracked up to be. Suddenly everything makes sense. Maturity descends miraculously; memory of events long past crystallise; old friends become recognizable again;


In reality just another day older.


In denial? No .



Years ago I ran a workshop with seniors aged from 60 to 85. They amazed me. I asked them two questions. How old are you? How old do you feel? Invariably they all placed themselves around the early thirties.
I agree with them. I'm still feeling about thirty two.

My theory is that around about that age it all begins to come together. You're no longer a kid. You sense you know something about life and you go for it.
For me it was becoming a father, starting a theatre company, feeling confident enough to front up to seriously important funding bodies (Australia Council etc) and surviving. I know a lot more now but at that time I knew I knew enough to have a go. And let go some of the self doubts. I've let go a lot more in the subsequent 28 years particularly over the last 10 years.


Fifty was good. Sixty is even better!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Leithal said...

Nice one little hat.